The RTA bus runs a loop through the City of Gunnison before it heads north on Highway 135 to Crested Butte and Mt. Crested Butte, also including the new Crested Butte South route. The RTA bus leaves all of the stops no earlier than the times listed in the published bus schedules. On certain occasions, there may be slight delays in buses because of the weather. The entire trip between Gunnison and Crested Butte will take approximately 30 minutes. In Crested Butte and Mt. Crested Butte, you can get to your desired destinations by connecting to the Mountain Express free bus service.
The RTA bus does not stop at the Gunnison – Crested Butte Regional Airport. These buses are not equipped to handle any types of baggage other than carry-on items that you may have. Any baggage you have other than ski and/or snowboard equipment and personal carry-on items are not allowed on RTA buses whatsoever. If you do need airport service, you should contact Alpine Express, Crested Butte Specialty Services, or Dolly’s Mountain Shuttle.
This winter, there is a new RTA service that includes 13 round trips with an early morning bus and a late night bus. The winter RTA bus schedule runs from November 26th through April 5th.
Some helpful hints when riding the RTA bus include:
- Know your bus schedule and always arrive at your bus stop early
- If you are not at a marked stop, please wave to the driver to let him or her know that you are there, this is especially important when weather conditions make it difficult for the drivers to visibly see you
- If you are not sure that you are on the right bus or if you have any questions about using the RTA buses, always ask your driver for details
- All RTA buses are free, so you may always board through either door that you wish
- Please allow passengers getting off the bus to get off the bus before you get on the bus
- Clearly state where you are going to the driver when you board the bus
- If unsure of where to exactly get off the bus, always sit near the driver so they can let you know when to get off
- Remain seated when the bus is in motion
- Pull the bell cord in plenty of spare time to let the driver know that you wish to get off at the next stop
- Drivers are only allowed to stop at authorized bus stops which include:
- The Tall Texan
- Cement Creek Rd.
- Brush Creek Rd
- Highway 135 and many other roads you may cross are highways or very busy streets and caution should always be used when crossing these busy roads
- When your bus approaches, stand back from the curb or roadside and wait for the bus to make a complete before approaching the bus
- Never cross in front of a bus
- Fighting, throwing objects, pushing, shouting or any loud behavior and/or obscene language are forbidden at all times on the bus and may result in your loss of bus privileges
- No firearms, weapons, gasoline or fireworks of any type are allowed on any buses
- Skis, snowboards and poles are not allowed in overhead bins; you must hold onto these items in front of you while riding the bus
- Carry-on luggage is permitted on all buses and must be stored in the overhead bins
- Bike racks are available on the RTA buses during the spring, summer and fall only. These racks can carry up to three bicycles at one time and can be in very high demand at times and they are only available on a first come, first serve basis and bicycles must be secured by the passengers. Bicycles are not allowed on the buses after dark. If you are unsure on how to use the bike racks, please ask your drivers for specific instructions.
- Do not use the seats as a foot rest, nor put your ski boots on the seats; we want them kept clean for our passengers use
- If your driver sees fit, they have the right to refuse service to any intoxicated or unruly passengers
- Shirts and shoes are required at all times
- Roller skates and roller blades cannot be worn on the bus at any time
- All infants and children must be removed from strollers and the strollers must be collapsed
- All RTA buses are wheelchair accessible
If you have any questions about any of the RTA bus services, please call 1-970-641-5074.
“To learn more about Crested Butte homes that are currently listed for sale, please contact me. I’m a local real estate agent who has helped countless buyers find the Crested Butte home of their dreams!”